Bicycles come fully equipped and ready to ride. At no extra charge we will also provide you with a helmet, a pump and tool kit, water bottle cage, and a Nelson Cycle Map Booklet with instructions on how to fix a flat tyre. Locks can be provided also if you will be away from the bike. Some people prefer to bring their own helmets, pedals or saddles to make the rental bike feel more familiar.
What do I need to bring?
- You will need to present a valid NZ Driver's License and/or a Passport, as well as a credit card with sufficient credit line to accommodate an authorization for the value of the equipment you are renting.
- A drink (the bikes have bottle holders)
- Something to eat. Snacks like chocolate bars & fruit to keep your energy up.
- Appropriate clothing and shoes for riding. Avoid loose wearing trousers.
- A back pack to carry everything. Back packs or saddle bags can be hired from us for an extra $5
- Warm clothing including some wet weather gear in case of rain (a large rubbish bag with 3 holes in it for your head and arms makes a good rain cover if you're caught out in the rain!)
- Cell/moblie phone.
- Personal first aid kit
- Don’t forget to check the weather forecast.
Optional extras you may consider:
- Some $$ for cafes/interesting places that you may find on the way.
- Togs and towel for a swim. There are lots of swimming holes and beaches.
- Sunscreen and/or bug spray
Where to go?
There are lots of places to go riding in Nelson. We have some map booklets that have some ideas for rides which are all accessible from Riverside Pool. You can take these booklets with you.
The booklets are aimed at beginner to intermediate riders looking for recreational rides, and are in two sections – urban rides and mountain bike rides. The urban rides make use of Nelson’s on and off-road cycle ways. They range from easy to moderate and most are suitable for families. There are a small selection of mountain bike rides suitable for beginners and others which are a little more challenging and longer.
Each map has the grade of the ride, expected time and distance to complete.
Details of the rides can be found on the Nelson City Council website.
PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME TRAILS ARE CLOSED DURING THE WEEK FOR LOGGING OPERATIONS. Please click here for details>
If you would like to explore more of Nelson’s great rides, here are some other places you can check out:
Mountain biking locations:
- Dun Mountain, Nelson
- Grampians, Nelson
- Maitai Valley, Nelson
- Tantragee Saddle, Nelson
- Centre Of NZ, Nelson
- Stoke Railway Reserve, Stoke
- Tahunanui Beach Reserve, Nelson
- Atawhai Cycle way.
The Nelson Mountain Bike club has some useful information on rides around the Nelson area.
Kaiteriteri MTB Park ( 1 hours drive from Nelson)
What can I see?
There is lots to do and see in Nelson. On a clear day you can get some great views from the hills and some awesome sunsets. You can do a forest ride or ride to Tahuna beach. Follow the railway reserve to Richmond and take a swim at the ASB Aquatic Centre. On the way there are lots of interesting cafés and shops.
Nelson Parks & Reserves:
- Queens Gardens
- Centre of New Zealand
- Founders Heritage Park
- Isel Park and House
- Broadgreen House and Rose Garden
- Miyazu Gardens
- Waahi Taakaro Golf course
Find out more at the Nelson City Council website.
The Brook Waimarama Sanctuary is a community-based initiative working to create a pest-free wildlife sanctuary close to Nelson, New Zealand.
What are the bikes?
Riverside currently has 6 mountain bikes and 2 tandems available for hire
The mountain bikes are Avanti Black Thunder 2's which are a tough entry level mountain bike complete with 24 speed gearing, RST front shock and disc brakes. There are 2 frame sizes available: 3 x Mediums & 3 x Large for hire.
Medium frames will suit those over 150cm although we have some shorter seat stems
The Large are for those over 160cm
Our tandems are a Raleigh Tandem that is ok for light off road action (Trails 1 to 9 on our map booklets. On parts of trails number 8 and 9 care is needed due to tights turns and river crossings). It has 24 speeds, suspension seat posts for the pillion rider and adjustable handle bars. Children over 8 years are suitable as a pillion rider.
We suggest first time Tandem hirers spend time learning to ride together in an open area before setting off. Its takes some team work.
We also have some items that you can rent for only $5 per day each
including baby carriers, baby helmets, back packs, saddle bags and bike carriers for your car tow balls. CLM bottles can be purchased for $5 from Riverside Pool Reception or bottled water/sports water from the drink machine.
What to know about personal safety
It is the rider’s responsibly for their own safety. Cycling involves personal risk and rider responsibility. Injury(s) and/or death associated with the sport of cycling may result from weather, excessive speed, collision with inanimate objects or other persons, and rider experience, error or abuse of equipment. First time or novice bikers should use the equipment with supervision of an experienced rider. It is advisable not to cycle alone or under the influence of alcohol, medication or drugs. We suggest first time Tandem hirers spend time learning to ride together in an open area before setting off.
Minimum age for hire is 18 years unless accompanied by an adult over 25 years.
Riverside Pool reserves the right to refuse hire to anyone.
What if I get a puncture?
All bikes carry spare inner-tubes and we will provide you with an illustrated instruction sheet on how to change it. If you are going to be late, please call us and let us know as soon as possible. We have a toll free number 0508 GETFIT if using a cell phone.
What are the road rules for cyclists in NZ?
New Zealand's road rules are designed to increase your safety. Here are some of the rules you must follow when cycling:
- Kept Left.
- Wear an approved safety helmet. Always fasten it securely, following the manufacturer's instructions. This is how you should wear a helmet> ... and this is why>
- Wear brightly coloured or reflective clothing when cycling – you'll be easier to see.
- Ride only on the road
- Follow the rules for motor vehicles, or get off your cycle and walk across.
- If space allows, you can ride alongside another cyclist or moped.
- Ride in single file if passing another vehicle.
- Give a hand signal at least three seconds before stopping or turning.
- Only carry a pillion passenger on your cycle if you have a pillion seat and footrest. If you’re carrying a child, make sure the pillion seat protects the child's legs from the wheels.
- You must not leave a cycle blocking a footpath.
- Use cycle paths or lanes, where provided.
- Ride with lights on when it’s dark (from 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise) or at other times of poor visibility, eg when it’s foggy.
For more information, follow these links >
Can I bring my children?
Our medium bikes suit people from 150cm, and we have some shorter seat stems to allow the seat to go all the way down. But we don't have bikes specifically for children although they can be pillion passenger on the tandem with the seat down. We suggest no children any younger than 8 years old attempt this. We have 2 baby seats and helmets available for hire. Baby participants must be at least 1 year old and be able to hold their head and upper body in an upward position and be able to wear a helmet. It is recommended not to attempt off road trails with baby (Urban Rides only on our map booklets).
What if we want to change our booking?
Check our cancellation policy
What if I am running late to return the bike?
The return time will be clearly written on your hire agreement. If you are running late please call us and let us know your estimated time of arrival as there maybe others waiting to hire the bikes. Fees will be charged for late returns of equipment at $20 per hour. Equipment must be returned between 6am – 5pm Monday to Friday and 9am – 4.30pm Saturday and Sunday
What if I have an accident?
If someone is hurt badly call the NZ emergency number 111 and ask for an ambulance. If you are not hurt but can not continue to ride you can call us at Riverside Pool (phone number is on the bikes, we have a toll free number 0508 GETFIT.) if using a cell phone.and we can organise to collect you by taxi where you will be expected to pay the cost of the taxi. www.nelsontaxis.co.nz
You will take full responsibility for the bike as well as your own riding safety. If the bike is stolen while you have it on rental, you will pay the depreciated value of the equipment. If you are in an accident or damage the bike you will be responsible for your own medical expenses as well.
Guaranteed Reservation fee deposit is $25 per bike. Reserving a bike in advance will guarantee that the type of bike you’d prefer will be available. This payment is non-refundable if you decide not to do the hire.
You may reserve a bike by email. We will need to know the following: Full name & date of birth, Contact phone number, credit card number, Driver licence number, Passport number, height of riders (in cm), dates and times of hire. Availability of bicycles in specific price categories will vary from day to day at each location. Call or email in advance for guaranteed reservation.
The full amount of hire payment is required at the time of booking. Fees will be charged for late returns of equipment at $20 per hour. Please call 035463221 as soon as possible to make us aware of your lateness. In the event of the hire period being cut short, no refund will be given for partially used bike/s or equipment hire fees. Minimum hire is half day hire.