Whangarei Aquatic Centre has an electrically heated, dry sauna that maintains a temperature of around 80 degrees C. A number of benefits are claimed for sauna use - here are 10: (http://www.finnleo.com/pages/health-and-wellness)
- Relieve stress
- Relax muscles and soothe aches and pains
- Flush toxins
- Cleanse the skin
- Induce deeper sleep
- Bring about recreational and social benefits
- Improve cardiovascular performance
- Burn calories
- Help fight illness
- Feel good
No bookings are required for our sauna but we do have some rules and restrictions regarding its use.
DO NOT USE THE SAUNA IF:
- YOU ARE PREGNANT*
- YOU HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION* (e.g. high/low blood pressure, respiratory or cardiac condition, diabetes etc.).
- YOU ARE UNDER 16 YEARS OLD
*These conditions can affect the way you react to heat. Check with your doctor if you are unsure.
DO NOT PUT WATER, OR ANY OTHER SUBSTANCE, ON THE SAUNA ROCKS
- The rocks are electrically heated and you risk electrocution.
- The increase in humidity reduces the allowable temperature for the sauna and may require the sauna to be closed until temperatures return to allowable levels.
- You create a risk of allergic or respiratory reactions for sensitive users.
DO NOT USE OILS OR LOTIONS
DO NOT USE THE POOLS TO COOL OFF AFTER USING THE SAUNA
- It offends pool users.
- The heat from the sauna opens the pores of your skin allowing the pool chlorine to enter your system and increasing the risk of health issues.
- Use the cold showers in the changing rooms instead.
- SHOWER (cold water) AND TOWEL DRY IMMEDIATELY BEFORE AND AFTER USING THE SAUNA (there is a cold shower in each of the changing rooms).
- DRESS APPROPRIATELY (e.g. togs or shorts).
- SIT ON A TOWEL OR MAT (for hygiene).
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER (There is a water fountain next to the sauna).
- TAKE A BREAK AFTER 15 MINUTES
- BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHER USERS (if you are chatting, keep your voice down, mind your language and avoid topics that might make other users uncomfortable. Remember, if a verifiable complaint is made against you, you could be trespassed).
- EXIT IMMEDIATELY IF YOU ARE FEELING UNCOMFORTABLE, DIZZY, SICK OR SLEEPY (seek staff assistance).