Nga mihi nui kia koutou
Here at the Whangarei Aquatic Centre we are motivated by improving the wellbeing of our community.
One of the ways we are looking at doing this is by offering a series of Aroora wananga to help support leaders within the community influence their whanau and peer group.
Aroora is a wellbeing philosophy that draws on mātauranga Māori practises to help individuals and groups live meaningful and healthy lives.
We are excited to announce that, with the support of Te Puni Kokiri, we are now in a position to offer a number of people within the community this opportunity free of charge this summer.
There will be a focus on youth aged between 16 and 20 however we will be taking some working age adults on this journey with us as well.
Participants can expect a series of 1-2 day wananga based around the Aroora philosophy as well as full facility memberships and support during this time at the Whangarei Aquatic Centre.
Incorporated in this experience will be exposure to:
- Tikanga / guiding principles
- Manaakitanga / showing respect, generosity and care for others
- Rangatiratanga / leadership development
- Whanaungatanga / shared experiences and working together which provides people with a sense of belonging
- Matauranga / education around health and well being in both a traditional Maori framework and in a contemporary sense as well.
- Whakapakari Tinana / physical exercise
To fully participate you will be required to have a moderate level of fitness as some wananga will involve climbing mountains and paddling in the harbour.
For more information and to get an idea of what this looks like you can access our YouTube channel and Facebook page.
Please note positions will be filled at the discretion of the providers.
As positions are limited we are asking for anyone who is interested to fill out the following expression of interest form.
Nga mihi nui
Aroora Team Manahautuu